On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:48:55 -0500 Curly McLain via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> >So, is there a difference between the eastern and western varieties?
> >
> >--R
>
> there is no western variety.  Eastern Black Walnut, Juglans Nigra
> or the carpathian walnut, aka english walnut, persian walnut, etc.
> Juglans Regia
>
> Carpathian walnuts are grown in Kollyfornia.  They try to make
> believe it is the only walnut.  Black walnuts are way better tasting.

When we lived in the San Luis Obispo area, one of the back roads had
volunteer black walnut trees along the fence lines. A lot of the nuts
fell onto the county right-of-way. We picked up a number of them in paper
shopping bags and took them home.

Shirley's method of cracking them was a plastic pan about 10"x14"x5"H, a
brick, and a hammer. It was not an easy task cracking them. Definitely
black walnut, juglans nigra.

Craig