From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Barry Stark
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:55 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I need a $10,000 loan for a '78 450SL, any takers?

Luther -
If you are serious take a really close look first. Trunk lid rust is a
typical 107 trait. That rust looks pretty advanced. Road dirt gets trapped
between the outer skin and the inner structure and absorbs moisture, causing
rust out. Best to just replace the trunk lid. Mine has been fixed twice and
it starting to rust again. I think a new lid is about $500 then it needs
painting. I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like the muffler has been
removed and replaced with a section of pipe. Rear bumper cover skin is about
$130 plus installation. Low mileage, wonder if the odometer has been
tweaked? Did the '78s still have the "cats" in the engine compartment or was
'77 the last year for that? Wood is in very poor shape. No mention of shape
of drop top. No mention if A/C works or if servo is good. I would think that
current bid is not too far off. 10K sounds really high to me. Don't know
about your neck of the woods but the $15K they say it is worth is more like
the price of some lesser 560 SLs here in SoCal.

Barry