Hi all,

I hate to pick nits, but I wanted to clarify something. IMO, brake
"fade" refers specifically to overheated brakes - usually exceeding
the temperature rating of the pad compound, resulting in a lack of
friction, and therefore stopping power. This can also include rotors
that are too small to dissipate the heat generated - that's why
high-performance cars have huge brake rotors. This excess heat can
cause the brake fluid to boil, and when that happens, you get a spongy
pedal, etc and the fluid should be replaced pronto (it doesn't go back
to normal when it cools). So while brake fade can cause the fluid to
boil, the fluid doesn't fail and *cause* brake fade - but the symptoms
could be easily confused. Definitely check the hoses, pads, rotors,
and replace the fluid if over 2 years old.

Normally all of this is related to REPEATED hard brake use - think
racetrack or autocross, where every 10-30 seconds you're standing on
the brakes from fairly high speeds. The best brake fluid in the world
won't do any good if the brakes are too small, or you have a street
pad compound that fades at low temps. What was originally described
*could* have been fade, but sure shouldn't be after one hard stop from
40-0!! It could have glazed the pads/rotors or something perhaps. But
it definitely would not affect the brake fluid unless the reservoir
was accidentally filled with Zerex G-05 or something, lol.

About pads... most OE/OEM pads are designed for light pedal effort and
low noise. Pads that claim to be low-dust may require more pedal
effort and/or be noisier. Race pads that can withstand really high
temps (much more fade resistant) are usually high-effort, noisy, and
dirty - or REALLY expensive! I have Porterfield R4-S carbon-Kevlar
pads, which have great feel, are quiet, last a long time, and are
fairly low dust.... but most people would choke at the cost (at least
double what most OEM pads cost). I'm a big fan of the R4-S pads,
btw... they're available for most Mercedes. So far most people who
have tried them love them. Cheapest to buy direct from the mfr...
<www.porterfield-brakes.com>.

Fluid: I did a ton of research on this in the past, to find what
fluids have the highest boil points. The summary is, the best stuff at
the best price that's available everywhere is Valvoline SynPower brake
fluid, about $6/quart at any FLAPS. The next step up for the picky
folks is ATE Super Blue or ATE  Type200 Gold (same stuff, different
color dye), but it costs twice as much ($10-$12 per quart). Beyond
that, Motul 600 has even higher boil points, but the cost doubles
again - $20-$25 per quart. Those are the three top street fluids,
IMNSHO. There are more exotic fluids out there, but in general they
need frequent replacement (think weeks or months, not years) and the
cost gets just stupid. Those are strictly for racetrack use, if the
ATE or Motul fluids are boiling (!!!) and the pads/rotors are still
within their rated temp range.

Sorry for the long rant... now back to your daily moose and Mobil-1.

:-)

Dave M.
Boise, ID
(Valvoline or ATE brake fluids in all my vehicles)