I saw a vid posted on some tech site yesterday of all that crap in a big hopper going into a shredder, every bit of plastic, metal, and whatever else is in there. They pointed out most of it was printers, which are cheaper to replace than buy ink carts. It probably does get shipped to Africa or China or somewhere for recovery of whatever is useful. Having seen how they do that -- big outdoor piles of burning smoldering smoking stuff -- it is rather horrifying.

--R