But you said there was "no way" for him to be Canadian.
If he renounced Canadian citizenship, then one would think he had it to give it up, and I assume like Mexicans who like to have their children in the USA, if one is born here, one is likely able to claim citizenship.

RB

On 26/03/2015 10:00 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Theres a great Maine joke the punchline of which is "If your cat had kittens in the
oven would you call them biscuits?"
He's American because his parents were there temporarily with no intention of becoming
Canadian citizens or permanent residents. So technically he's an "American born
abroad" like so many children of active servicepersons.
-Curt
       From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
  To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:57 AM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] Ted Cruz?
Why is there no way for him to be Canadian if he was born in Canada?
Both of my sons were born here to a mother who is a US citizen but do
not qualify for dual citizenship via their mother because she left the
USA before she attained the age of majority even though she is still an
American citizen and has never obtained dual citizenship. She is a
permanent resident of Canada but not a Canadian citizen.

Oddly enough, my sons could apparently apply for US citizenship through
my wife's parents even though my father in law is deceased and my mother
in law obtained Canadian citizenship and thus has dual citizenship.

RB