Bigger is better so long as you keep your hands and other body parts out of the spray pattern. You can generally avoid damage to things like wood by choosing to use a wider spray nozzle but if you want to clean really greasy dirty things then you need power to blast it off.
A rotating nozzle helps too.

RB