Actually the lifetime journey started in like '02 or so when one of my wife's patients, an Indy MB mechanic, was no longer able to drive so was selling his 300TD. He was basically broke, and she had some measure of pity on him, and the boychild needed a car for school commuting etc. so we bought the TD. It was a good choice -- solid, hard to get into trouble with a NA engine, and in fairly good shape. Paid too much for it I think, but it was for a reasonable cause. The ex-wife widow called me to see if I wanted a drum of engine oil he had in his little garage at his apartment when he passed a year or so later, was not particularly good oil (Shell something) and not diesel oil, so I passed on that. I guess I could have recouped some of the car price with that but had no way to haul it and a lifetime supply was a bit much.

Bought the boy the 84 SD when he graduated college, the daughter unit was by then driving the TD. Mama told me after the fact that she liked the SD and why did I get it for him and not her, sigh... So for her birthday a few years back got her an SD like the boy's. Now the daughter is driving mama's SD, the boy's SD and the TD are here and I need to do something with them. Mama needed a new reliable ride so got the ML. The TD is kinda past it's useful life due to rust but it still runs well, I am thinking to pull some parts and haul it to the knacker.

But yeah, I remember my buddy's dad's MB from way back then and how exotic it was, the ride and performance. I'll see my friend in a coupla weeks, will have to talk about that car!

--R