On Sunday, January 29, 2006, at 09:54 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:

I recently purchased a '83 300CD for dirt cheap, and drove it from
Dallas to Austin and back.  I noticed that there's a slight flair from
1st to 2nd, and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. It also takes a second a or two to drop into reverse. What should i inspect/replace first? B2 piston?

'tanks,

Paul

This was just discussed the other day. There is a fix for the flaring which includes K1/K2 spring kits. There is an aftermarket mfr that makes a valve body kit also. A delay in switching from P-R-D-R is OK to a point, Dr Booth may be able to clarify how long is OK. Some flaring may be reduced by adjusting and/or replacing the modulator too. If its real bad you can disconnect the vacuum line to the modulator and put up with hard shifts for a zillion more miles. Kind of a free repair if you don't want to spend $$$$$$$$$$ at a tranny shop.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am