> On July 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Jim Cathey via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Uh, you do go over the cars you buy in detail before you buy them,
> > don’t you?
>
> Apparently I don't.  It was quite a surprise to me to find
> that the SEL didn't have an air filter in it.  I'd driven
> it for quite awhile too, and we live on a dirt road.

My 2nd car was a 1977 Saab that cost slightly more than a Corvette when new. (I
paid the original owner about 10% of what he paid, still a pretty big deal for a
20 year old who delivered pizzas to pay for college)
It came with all records, so I just kept up with the maintenance schedule.
Imagine my surprise a year later, when I found out that the air box had a
removable plate that snapped into the bottom of the filter element for an
airtight seal, and the filter was smashed onto it off center and leaking badly,
by the biggest foreign car indy in East Lansing. When I showed them the smashed
filter and invoice that said they installed it, their "so what?" attitude spoke
volumes. I too, lived on a dirt road.

Mitch.