I was looking at cables intended to control a power take off so they are solid enough to push or pull without much lneed for everage. I was also looking under the hood and thinking a bell crank of some sort should make it fairly easy to convert a horizontal pull to a vertical pull. Might not even need that if the cable is flexible enough to route from the horizontal to the vertical and exert a down pull on the stop lever when pulled from inside the cabin. As you said, I want to keep it simple and not create a Rube Goldberg setup. (although the punk stuff is interesting).

Could install a push button start switch too and toss the keys.

On the 190Dc, I used the hood release cable form a 56 Karmann Ghia to shut off the IP (pulling down the lever the IP) THose had a clamp on the IP for the Push/pull start/stop cable. I used that clamp to hold the cable sheath.

Your car is different. It does not use the start/stop knob to turn off the engine. I think you;d be better off to buy the right shutoff and use it that way. If you want to dis-associate it from the key switch, use a air toggle switch to block or open the vacuum line between the ign switch assembly and the IP.