I had calculus in high school, took freshman math in college and it was basically a repeat of my HS class except with a newer book (I had to buy). Since it was an 8AM class in a big lecture hall, I just went and took a nap most mornings.

--R

On 10/13/15 11:47 AM, Scott Ritchey via Mercedes wrote:
The first two parts are easy but require a little reasoning to understand
the equation. If the gator doesn't travel on land, x=0.  The shortest swim
is directly across, or x=20.  These are both simple high-school algebra
which should part of an 18-year-old's kit unless Scotts kids are as stupid
and lazy as most of our US kids.  The minimum time requires graphing the T
vs x equation (not exact and time consuming) or differential calculus (find
value of x where dT/dx is zero).  In the US, calculus is not routinelyI had c
taught in high school (or wasn't in my day).  So the third part of the
question is not fair for someone with only a high school education, IMO.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of
archer75--- via Mercedes
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 10:02 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: arche...@embarqmail.com
Subject: [MBZ] Crocodile Question

archer asks:
Can you solve this crocodile maths question?
As the pass mark for a Scottish Higher Maths exam is lowered, one
question is highlighted as particularly challenging.

The question required students to calculate the amount of time it
would take the crocodile to reach its prey.
At the time, more than 14,000 people signed two online petitions
calling for the exam board to take into account the difficulty of the
question, while students took to social media to vent their frustration.
Can you answer the crocodile maths question? Watch this video for the
solution.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03468/crocodile-exam-
que_3468274b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11921671/Can-you-
answer-the-tricky-crocodile-maths-question-that-left-students-in-
tears.html