Engine would have been signed by the guy that built it.  If there is no
indication of this on the block or a plaque to the effect with engraved
signature there, it is just a pig with lipstick.  All AMG engines were signed
by the ONE guy who took it from parts to testing.  I am assuming there are
other indication on the suspension and other AMG specific parts.  Matching part
numbers on the body panels, the engine # will not match the build sheet from
factory.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers