Searching the webernets it looks like the problem I am having is not an uncommon problem with macs and the ATT Uverse modem I have (Pace 5031NV). I have seen a couple of suggestions to change the authentication but that didn't work for me. Seems like some sort of incompatibility of the modem and (some) apple stuff for reasons not clear.

   The solution ended being that I logged into the ATT UVerse modem
   (https://192.168.1.254) and changed the wireless Authentication Type
from "WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES)" to just "WPA2-PSK (AES)". Once I did that, the MacBook Pro was able to connect fine. No idea
   if it's that generation's Airport or something in OS X 10.6.8 or
   what, but that fixed it.

I am wondering if I upgrade the OS to El Capitan (I have 10.10.5 now, is that new one 10.11?) if there might be some updates in the OS that might work better. There is a security update to this version too, I suppose I should load that. This has become a fairly recent problem too, no idea why.

--R