My brother blew the crank in his '75 300D W115 -- a previous rebuilder had been somewhat overgenerous with the orange silicone sealant, and had slopped a bunch on the oil filter housing gasket. A large glob came loose and covered the oil hole in a main bearing, starving the #2 main and crankpin of oil, caused the thrust bearing to spin in the block, and the #2 crankpin to score the crank, leading to a classic sharp radius crack failure. The amazing thing is that the engine ran for some time with one side broken, held in place by the #1 bearing.

He dropped it at about 60, blew both sides of the oil pan out, chewed up the piston, and cracked the (already defunct) block.

New short block and a set of cam towers and it's running again, going on six years or so by now, I think.

Peter