It's psychosomatic(sp). I groan too when I unfold in the morning.

Did you check the door check strap for binding and proper lubrication?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marshall Field
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MBZ] Driver door groans upon opening

On my '81 300TD, the driver door groans every time you open it.   The
groaning begins upon opening, continues for 45 degrees of arc, then
quits.

There is no play in the hinges according to the yank and heave test
method.   I have greased and re-greased the hinges over and over.  I
have
soaked everything I can see with lots of Kroil Grease easily flows from
the
hinge parting lines.

This is driving me nutz.  Help!

Marshall in Feenix