No the pin was definitely there when I remove the brake assembly and put the drum/wheel back on. I suppose maybe it could have fallen out maybe? Just a quick look appears the spindle has to be cut off and new one welded back on. In other words probably the whole axle will need to be replaced if the spindle is chewed up and can't be smoothed out.