Interesting that you should mention this.

I researched Honda CRVs of that vintage quite heavily for a friend who is not a
car person but was looking for something along those lines.  There were all
sorts of stories about exploding AC compressors and how they would fail
catastrophically, taking out the whole system with the shrapnel.

Being that AC is a critical system in this part of the world, I steered him
away from them.  I got him into a Jetta TDI five speed instead, and he still
has it today.

Dan