tpically it's a sunroof drain on a W124 since they are much less prone to rust that a W123, but check the drain for the base of the windshield behind the battery.

Peter

I took out the remains of the battery tray. Underneath was a hole big enough I can stick all 4 fingers with a glove on through the hole. It appears to mostly go into an angled channel that may or may not be leading into the footwell. I poked a vacuum tube in it and I think it stopped just ahead of the front door, below the bottom hinge, in the doorsill area. That may run into the passenger compartment or may not. Without taking the fender off, it is hard to tell for sure. At any rate, I will patch it. I need to find a microwave...

The battery tray is rotted away. It appears that a leaking battery probably rusted it away.