To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 3:57 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Walmart vs NAPA auto

Just ran across this today.  The Washington State government is
subsidizing Wal-Mart to the tune of $12 million a year, by paying for
employee health care:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002791346_walmart07m.html?syndication=rss

The question is, is it really fair for an enormously profitable
corporation to improve their bottom line by pushing the cost of keeping
their employees healthy onto the taxpayers?  They've found a way to
externalize one of the biggest expenses their competitors have.

If a company decided to stop maintaining its truck fleet's condition and
just run them until they broke, we'd say it was stupid. But when a
company like Wal Mart decides to stop "maintaining" their employees'
health and just use them until they go onto public assistance, it's seen
as a brilliant business move and they're rewarded for it.