Is it safe to assume that you support the democratic rights of those in the
many communities who have voted to ban Walmart and other big box retailers?

Often, the majority of the people in the community do NOT want WalMarts, but
in order to keep them out, they have to organize and pass popular
initiatives.

OTOH, nobody has to vote to let a WalMart INTO their community, so the idea
that the presence of a WalMart is a manifestation of the democratic process
has its flaws, IMO.

Lee