A big problem is when the family brings sick granny to the hospital for whatever her ailment is. Granny doesn't know, doesn't care, has no idea... In many cases she is not going to get "better" no matter what the docs could do for her. But the family wants "everything" done and Medicare will pay for it, so no issue there (for them). She might improve for a little while, if she survives the treatments which could be debilitating in and of themselves, but it is not going to be long before the inevitable occurs. The family (and often one very vocal member) will not hear of any rationality, like a living will, DNR, appointing a POA, etc. and want granny to live longer based on medical science. Quality of life is not a consideration, except for the family member(s) who want to believe they have "done everything." So torture granny for awhile instead of just keeping her comfortable...

And it is up to the docs to deal with that mess.

I don't know about the broken bones for old folks, seems like arms might not be a big deal, but their ability to deal with anesthesia and such is high risk, and healing is very slow if it even happens. My auntie, who is probably 90 now, has had a broken foot bone for maybe 4 years, despite good medical care to deal with it, and in otherwise not bad health, she just can't heal.

--BB

On 5/10/16 12:43 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Yup, we in the USA, aren't allowed to have any discussion of the end of life so
far too many people think granny is going to live forever. Those people sue
their doc when granny dies and thus...
In a similar vein are the people who are surprised when the traffic light
changes from green to red, a completely predictable action, just like granny
dying. In both cases we should be more surprised when they DON'T happen than
when they do.
-Curt

       From: G Mann <g2ma...@gmail.com>
  To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 12:41 PM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] fuel cans - spouts
On that note.. I have, in the past 2 months, had two friends who were caring for their 95 & 97 yr old mothers. Each mother fell and suffered compound fracture of the upper right arm, just below the shoulder joint... brittle bones, age, and osteoporosis, compounded by unstable stance and fierce independence, in both cases.

One had full coverage insurance... the other something less .. both were refused
treatment by doctors.. other than to stabilize the arm. Reasons given did not match the
injuries in either case... the underlying tone, however was, "my medical malpractice
insurance won't let me touch this case" ....

That's what we have litigated ourselves into, folks...

As my Father often said, "You can't legislate common sense."
[The wisdom of 11 terms in House of Representatives.]

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes