Some of us, who happen to administrate *NIX professionally, have Windows on
their desktops because that is the corporate line. Oh Woe to the admin that
must use a tool not of their design. Like when I need a steering wheel
puller and all I have is a sledgehammer.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I ditched windows several yrs ago.  NO regrets.
>
> Fred Moir via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
>> May 25, 2016 at 12:17 PMvia Postbox <
>> https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach
>> >

>> Greetings from LaLa Land.
>>
>> I have an HP Pavilion DV6-6153cl that will not load windows of any
>> flavor. 2k, Xp, Vista, Win7 and 10 have all the same failure, though
>> Ubuntu12 works very well. The Win OS installs fine and dandy but stalls at
>> the "Starting Windows" screen with pulsing four color win logo. This is a
>> known problem with some HP laptops and there are a lot of fixes on the web.
>> The hardware has been extensively tested and, where appropriate, swapped
>> out for known good and further tested in another machine. The BIOS in this
>> machine is by Insyde currently F.17 and the replacement one is F.1B. How
>> the hell does one reflash the BIOS without windows !? I have tried 12
>> different "fixes" and none of them will load a BIOS file meant for a
>> windows application. Trying to contact HP is a study in frustration.
>>
>> Is there a SIMPLE way to boot the laptop and reflash the BIOS from a CD?
>>
>> Simple mind wants to know.
>>
>> Any and all reasonable suggestions welcomed.
>>
>> Mad Fred.
>>

>> Fred Moir.
>> Lynn MA.
>> Diesel preferred.

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*