I can't comment on your car specifically, as I'm not familiar with the
capabilities of the Xentry system relative to your model, but I would expect
that any stored faults will show up, and in doing so, will point at the source
of the issue.

The Xentry system does a good job of getting into the weeds on the later
models, and just running a full set of diagnostics can yield lots of good
information.

Kaleb has more experience with the system on pre-2000 MY cars than I do, so
maybe he'll pop in and offer his insight.

Or he will offer you $500 to take the car off your hands since it's now junk.

Dan