Good info. I have never actually seen the insides of an M1. After he kicked the bucket, I found out my very quiet neighbor was known far and wide for refinishing and repairing the M1 wood. Only once did he ever talk much, and that was not long before he kicked off. He was only in his 50s. Had I found out, I might have been able to handle one.

When I was a kid, I remember the monkey ward sale papers have several typed of rif les for sale for around $20 and they also were selling mi car bines. That all ended in 1963. I've wished many times I had ordered a few.

Scott Ritchey via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 14, 2016 at 10:21 PMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
The M-1 rifle had an unusual arrangement.  The en-bloc clip (which held 8
cartridges) was actually inserted into the top of the rifle.  An internal
magazine fed cartridges  into the chamber while the clip remained in the
rifle.  The clip ejected from the bottom of the rifle after the last round
was fired.  This hybrid design may have contributed to the confusion between
clips and magazines.  Many older rifles used a stripper clip that  attached
above an internal magazine such that the rifleman manually pushed the stack
of cartridges down the clip and into the magazine.  The awful, hated black
rifle (aka Armalite 15/16 pattern) normally uses a 20 or 30 round detachable
magazine.  Military cartridges come in 10-round stripper clips with an
adapter called a "spoon".  You can attach the loaded clip to the top of the
magazine (with the spoon) and load all 10 rounds with one authoritative
push.

As a point of information, in many states you cannot hunt deer with an AR-15
or other rifle using the military 5.56 (aka .223) cartridge because it is
not considered sufficiently powerful for large game.  The .223 cartridge
started like as a varmint load.