Get one of those big curtains to block off the part of the shop you do work in and you can go with a much smaller unit just to cool that part.

--JC

On 6/28/16 5:11 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
I put "how much ac for 2400 sq ft" into the gargler and got:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/hvac-sizing.htmlwhich suggests based on the map and
chart that you'll need 4 tons, maybe more, I don't know exactly where you are in Okieland.
A smaller AC unit wouldn't do the job entirely but it'd knock down the humidity
and reduce the temp some, combined with your fan it'd probably be enough. Maybe
get a couple window units and just put 'em in the wall. We've got a window unit
mounted in a wall here. When that croaks I'm going to do a mini split with the
indoor unit in the same spot. Our 900sqft house doesn't require much...
-Curt

       From: Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: Mercedes Discussion List <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>; davesl...@okiebenz.com
Cc: Kaleb C. Striplin <ka...@striplin.net>
  Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:54 PM
  Subject: [MBZ] Shop cooling
So earlier I was thinking about a swamp cooler for the shop which
would not be very effective.  I bought a high velocity fan the
other day which helps a bunch.  Today I got to thinking about how
my shop is fully insulated.  Its 40x60 why could I not install a
central AC unit out there?  I could probably mount the inside unit
up in the rafters somehow, or worse case just have it in a corner
somewhere.  What size unit do you think I would need for said size
of shop?  New 2 ton units can be had for around 2k or so.  I see
several used ones on CL too.  I would probably try to find a
decent used one if I went this route.  IF buying a used one what
does one need to look for as far as ratings etc?

--BB