Yesterday (6-6-16), an update from Microsoft clobbered my M$ Outlook.  The
symptoms were a normal Outlook startup up through the point the calendar
reminder box displays, immediately followed by a message box saying Outlook
had to stop, and it did, every time with no useful diagnostic message.
After much frustration, the fix was simple:  delete the .ost files and let
Outlook rebuild fresh ones.

Apparently the crash occurred when Outlook tried to synchronize my AOL IMAP
folders with the saved ost files.  I don't know what M$ changed, but after
that update, Outlook was no longer compatible with the stored ost files.
This should only be a problem for Outlook users with IMAP or Exchange
accounts (not POP). The offending update was KB915597 (Definition
1.225.433.0) which was labeled "Definition Update for Windows Defender", but
it obviously included other stuff.  I know this update was the cause because
it happened on two different computers immediately after rebooting following
that only that one update.  Both worked fine until the reboot.

Incidentally, system restore would not work either computer after that
update and reloading office didn't help either.  You cannot turn off offline
(.ost) synchronization in Outlook 2013.  Until I found the fix, I had to
restore an old disk image and kill updates to get a working interim email
machine.  I hope Bill's ears were burning.

Maybe this description will help someone else.