> Why is it called a "stereo"type and not a "mono"type?  One tries to make
> all out to be like one thing ("mono"), not two things ("stereo").

Stereos is Greek for "solid".  In this case, it derives literally the
type one used when putting a little picture of whatsis into a dictionary.

IMHO all current English uses are more marketing hype than truth.
The best use refers to stereo photography, where the two separate
views make whatever _appear_ to be solid.  (Your "two" only comes
from the number of eyes and ears we have.  Besides, in the printing
industry Monotype was already in use as a brand.)  That picture of
a tree isn't solid in any way, any more than stereophonic recordings
are.

So, solid in the sense that the early movie of a train rushing
at the camera made people dive out of their seats.  Basically just
a lot more realistic than whatever came before.

Pedantically yours,

-- Jim