I read a report years ago about K&N outfitting the big trucks in an open
pit mine with their filters. The mine threw them out after having to
rebuild most of the engines due to cylinder wear from all the dirt that was
getting in.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> On late model TDIs they ruin MAF sensors. Even a very slight over oiling
> kills a $150+ sensor.
> I ran one in my Dakota for awhile, I could see no real performance or
> economy gain. I'd like to try blind tests to see if somebody could tell.
> Kid next door has a Mustang, I wonder if he'd be into the idea.
> Curt
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>   On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes<
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:   >
> > I had the one that fit inside the stock air box. Anything providing
> higher
> > ambient air pressure at the inlet to the turbo is going to provide better
> > performance. This is why all those turbocharged drag cars run without air
> > cleaners. If you try that filter and drive with your foot on the floor
> you
> > will notice the difference.
>

> > I think K&N filters are garbage, but they do enhance performance at the
> > expense of less filtration.

> >> Ah!  You are talking about rapid increase in engine RPM.  I was
> >> referring to power output - sustained.
> >>
> >> So, if you man "it takes longer for the turbo to build pressure"
> >> rather than "it takes longer for the turbo to spool" - I fully
> >> agree.

> >> Hmm.  That doesn't match my experience with various diesel turbo
> >> engines.  But if your experiences were otherwise, who am I to argue!

OK Don

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg