Whoa Werner,
What sound panels? Under the engine/tranny where I'll be working to change the ATF? Remember, the most modern MB I'm used to is a '78 240D! Clatter clatter! How are the sound panels held in place? ;-) Sounds like I'll need to pick up some of the metal clips prior to starting this job?

I'm still starry eyed to learn I have a windshield washer reservoir with a *heating* coil in it! That is *so* cool! And I see Buick (or someone) advertising their heated WW fluid!! And MB was doing it *at least* 15 years ago! ;-)

Have been out looking at the engine - the coolant level is about 1/2 way up the reservoir - but I don't see a marker on the reservoir indicating the proper level. But I suspect it's right. BTW, the coolant res. cap was loose - probably caused the cooler than normal running? (a little below 80C)

Can the coolant flushing be left to an independant shop? Assuming I bring the MB coolant and make sure they use it - I'd do it but I always seem to spill a lot when opening the system to drain. Of course, it looks like MB has really made things easy to work on with this W124 (in some areas)!

The belt looks to be in good condition - no visible cracks, abrasions, etc.

Found the fuse box (an improvement over the W123!) but it looks like the same old ceramic fuses. I assume they still need to be replaced on a 12-15 year cycle? Meaning it's time now. Perhaps since the vibrations have been reduced (so it seems) it's not necessary?

The hood has a foam pad near the latch mechanism - it has some damaged foam so I'll want to replace it - but that's the only obvious thing needing attention.

Am getting ready to vacuum the leaves and debris from the hinge area - will probably see more stuff generating more questions -- Thanks to all who are helping! When I get my Owners Manual (5-10 days) and other tech books it'll help with many of my questions. BTW, I ordered a extra key - only came with one - which seems to be typical of a used car for some reason. MB gets $25 for a key - forgot to ask Rusty to get one for me --

Love this car!!   ;-)

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info