I was just guessing base on memories that are nearly 50 years old.  I was
surprised when I discovered them at the time, and when I started researching
(at the time) I thought I came across something that said they were 1:1 and
just there to increase ground clearance.

That would suggest that the transaxles for the bus were different from the car,
as they would have factored into the final drive?

Only bus I ever had, and during a period of time when I was not what one would
considered “clear headed”, so I’m not surprised I was unaware of this.
Understand that my barn door bus was painted dark green and had “Der Party
Vagon” airbrushed in white Old English lettering on the sides, courtesy of a
good friend who frequented our home shop for the air supply to do her airbrush
art.

I will say that with the set of snow wires off my Mom’s 1974 Impala Custom
Coupe on the rear wheels that bus would go just about anywhere.  I off roaded
in it regularly, both on purpose and not on purpose.

'nuf said.

Dan