From: Dan Penoff [mailto:d...@penoff.com]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 6:05 PM
To: Mercedes List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] Bonehead

I park in a parking garage at my office.  The space I park in is one of two
that are sandwiched between two block walls.  There is room for two vehicles to
fit in the area without having to squeeze out of the door.  I normally park
well to the right against a wall so the person in the other space has plenty of
room. This is usually another employee I work with, or if they’re late, some
guy with a big red Dodge pickup truck, who swings wide because he won’t back up
and straighten out to pull into the space.

So today as I’m pulling out of my garage I hear a big “pop” sound and realize I
forgot to clear a plastic container with a set of old H4 bulbs in it.
Realizing that the metal part of the bulb might have damaged my right front
tire, when I pulled into my parking space this morning I moved towards the
middle of the space, evenly spacing my car between the yellow lines, with a
good 8”-12” on each side of the car between the car and the painted lines.
That way if I had to change a tire should it have been damaged and leaked down
during the day I can get to that side of the car.

Wife had doctor’s appointment I was attending, so about 9:40 I go down to get
in the car.  There’s a note stuffed in the gap between my doors:

"Sorry, but I scrapped (sic) against your car this morning.  It doesn’t look
bad, but please let me know what to do and I’ll work things out with you.”
(phone number)

Arrgh.

Left rear quarter is scuffed and left rear taillight is cracked.  When I got it
out in the sun I could see a dimple in the middle of the panel.  The trailing
edge of the fender where the tail light opening starts has the paint rubbed
down to the primer.  I took plenty of pictures of my car, its’ position and the
big red truck, which was clearly swung way over into my space when it pulled in
and had black paint on the bumper where it had rubbed against my car.

So I called the guy and he was pretty contrite.  He said if it was below his
deductible he would just give me the money, otherwise I could file a claim with
his insurer.  I told him to put it in writing in an email, which he did, even
admitting fault and including his insurance contact information and policy
number. (Nice!)

So I went to the local ding and dent place, a chain called “Carsmetics”, for a
quick estimate.

Around $475 for the paint work. LKQ has no left rear taillights for my car, so
the only other choice they have is to go with new from MBUSA.

+$1100.00!!!

I had them write up an estimate with and without the tail light.  I’m thinking
if his deductible is $500 I’ll ask him for $550 and I’ll source the tail light
assembly (easily found on eBay for $60-$80.)

But only after I give him the $1700.00 estimate.

Dan