      From: clay via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: clay <redgh...@comcast.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:52 PM
 Subject: [MBZ] It's Braken Jim!

I have no parking brake in Polei.  Also have a fluid leak that has been getting
topped up with big jugs of FLAPS DOT 3.  Sent the car to local wrench twister
down the block.  He came back with an estimate of $2k to make whole.

What is not good.  Hard line is rusted out near the rear axle.  That is where
the leak be.  Pads back and forward are sort of ok, but want fresh.  Rear rotor
wants fresh, Rear calipers want fresh, park shoes want fresh.  Front tie rod
ends are perished.  Wanted to charge to do alignment.  Park cable may be
perished.

I can do tie rod ends myself.  I am pretty comfortable installing rotor and
pads.  Getting the parking shoes seated is a HUGE pain in the patoot.  I am not
at all interested in paying retail for calipers or the hard line.

I am assuming the Benz engineers did not get all crazy and put different
calipers on the diesel v. petrol cars (unless it be SEC).  So, were I to get a
set of calipers from PnP gen II W126, I would be in the clear to install?  Is
there a change from early to late calipers?  Like I could use them from a SD?

The hard line is a question.  There must be the same line that is used in the
petrol editions that is used in SDL as well.  It is only the one line I think.
If I pull PnP 560SEL line that would be same?  OR, should I remove the hard
line, take it to a brake shop and have them fab me a line?  I will be doing all
this on a creeper in the rain with car on jack stands.  I will also need to
install the park brake cable that came in a box with the car.

Maybe Kaleb has spare w126 brake line, caliper set that he will ship me for
cheap dollars.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei

retired models-
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers