Buy high quality ones, not the kind you get at the home centers, and use a belt
dresser (rubber block) to clear the abrasive frequently.

And yes, the heat will cause the adhesive to fail, but a lot also has to do
with the amount of stress on the belt. In other words, don’t apply pressure or
push down on the sander - the abrasive should do the work with you doing
nothing more than guiding the sander.  Applying pressure in an attempt to
remove more material will cause the belt to fail prematurely.

Keystone is a good supplier.  I found that the friability of their abrasives
were probably the best that I used relative to hardwoods.  If you’re sanding
metals you want low friability so the material won’t break down rapidly.

Dan