Marshall Booth wrote:
I'm convinced it's something attached to the engine - NOT in the engine. Maybe the flex plate on the flywheel, the crank damper, the vacuum pump, some belt driven accessory or a collapsed mount allowing something to hit or flail about. NOT a bearing, rod, piston, valve, etc.

PLEASE be sure to tell us what it is if you ever find it!!

Marshall

Well, it turns out it WAS in the engine but tried to get out!! My 601 that put the #3 rod thru the block made slightly worse noise when running.

Marshall

'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi