It is probably not wise to rebuild something with a hole in the side of
the block. There are too many reasons to list. You'd be better off trying
to salvage the head, and take kaleb's wagon short block as a rebuilder.

Well I bought a tiller that I didn't know had thrown the rod.
Paid way too much for it, in fact, but who knew?  (I should
have, and you really need to be careful at a liquidation
outlet.)  Anyway, $20 for a new rod and some work, especially
aluminum welding to weld the block back together, and we've
been tilling the garden with it for a couple of years now.

So, I guess what I'm saying is maybe it _can_ be done, but whether
or not you should do it is another story.  If it were mine I'd
be tempted to give it a shot.  I've got five extra rods down
in Smelly.  Think how cool it would be if it worked!

So your engine lost oil pressure, seized a rod bearing and then
threw that one.  The others are probably scored/shot.

-- Jim