On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:49:31 -0800 Greg Fiorentino via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Yes, but
>
> <<...the electrostatic interaction between the electron clouds of the
> colliding molecules is repulsive.>>
>
> ;-)

Yes, that is true. Everything we sense about materials in our every day
interactions with them is because of their atoms' electron clouds. We
never experience their nuclei.

So when you are standing on the 12th floor, keep in mind that the only
thing holding you up is electron repulsion ...

> Interesting that the O2 molecule is smaller despite having a greater
> molecular weight. I was wondering if the O atom has electrons at a
> higher energy level than the N atom, but I see that it would take 9
> electrons to exceed the s and p orbitals. So, perhaps the same electron
> orbital energy levels plus the higher proton count in the nucleus gives
> a smaller atom due to proton-electron attraction.

That's what the article says.

> Thanks Craig!

You are welcome.