Brian Chase wrote:
Here's a topic you old timers can relate to:

Is it common for these diesels to be sluggish when cold? This morning it seemed the thing was less peppy than the night before (insert your quips here). Was almost scarry trying to take off in traffic - I think it was almost floor-boarded and I barely got rolling. Things returned to somewhat normal after warming up to normal temp. And after tearing down the freeway for numerous miles, peppiness galore. There is no smoking, no signs of ill health otherwise.

When the engine is cold, power IS down for a variety of reasons and fuel consumption WILL be high. The fuel does not finish burning quickly enough to contribute optimally to developing power. If the one or more valves are tight, that will make this MUCH worse (when was valve adjustment checked?). As the engine warms, the valve tightness (and the resulting lower compression) disappears. Chain stretch will contribute to this lowered power as well but is not usually the major factor. When were the fuel and air filters changed?

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi