From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Curley
McLain via Mercedes
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:54 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Cc: Curley McLain
Subject: [MBZ] Dropping glass Was: hard countertops suck Was: Fixing floors

Dropping glass

When I started bottling wine and cider, I used the bottle most cider
makers use, the Waterloo (St Gobain) W25.  It is a traditional brown
bottle, and can be corked for the vino or capped for the cider.  The
first time I dropped a bottle on the concrete floor of the processing
room while moving bottles from the filler to the capping stand, I about
had heart failure and envisioned glass everywhere.  To my amazement, the
bottle bounced, and I caught it on the rebound.  There after, i just
tried to catch the bottle on the rebound.

When I ran out of the bottles, I found a deal on 8 pallets of green
bottles made in meh-he-co.  They could be corked or capped, so I bought
them.  They were VERY heavy!  A case of empty bottles weighed almost as
much as a case of filled W25 bottles!   The first time one slipped out
of my hand, i just prepared to catch it on the rebound.  Not so.  Glass
shards everywhere!  Every time I dropped a green one, it shattered.  I
guess the meh-he-co glass is not the same quality as the St Gobain glass
made in the US of A or our northern neighbour!

It was an eye-opening experience about the differences in glass.  I have
no idea why the W25 glass is so resilient.  Perhaps there is an
annealing or similar stress relieving process that the green ones did
not get.  The way the green glass flew, it was evident that it had a lot
of internal stress.