If the line/neutral is flipped, or the grounding is bad/wrong, it's
possible that a more sensitive (special snowflake?) ballast might have
difficulty starting.  Capacitive effects are part of the starting process.
Or, bad bulb/ballast as has been suggested, or bad connections in the bulb
sockets.

I like the 8' 96W cold-start HO fluorescents, which start up even in
sub-zero weather.  Yes, they flicker some when it's very cold, but they
warm up after a bit and have full output.  The new garage has 30 of these
in it.  (But no drywall or paint, so it soaks up light.)

I have a bunch of those ultra-cheap electronic ballast 4' shop light
fixtures in the old garage.  They're always failing to start, etc.  That
garage never gets below maybe 45 degrees, but the lighting is still
crappy.  Also, those fixtures eat bulbs like popcorn.  The few old-style
magnetic ballast fixtures on the same circuit are still on their original
bulbs.  The cheap fixtures are seriously false economy.

I just bought one of the $18 Costco 4' LED tube-replacement bulb kits to
try in one.  Instant starting, and a lot brighter.  I think I'll be buying
more of these!  The biggest problem is that it's a T8 size, not T12, so the
luminous flux density is a lot higher, so the bulbs are borderline annoying
to have in your peripheral vision, unlike the old bulbs.  (Similar to how
much more annoying projector headlights are on an oncoming car when
compared to old-school lights, even when both are using H4's or the like.)

Of the 30 HO bulbs I've only lost two since I built the garage 17 years
ago.  Magnetic ballasts, fairly easy on the bulbs.  (They're still out, 30
bulbs _is_ a lot!)  I don't know if they have 8' HO LED replacements or
not, though.  If they do, I doubt they're as cost-effective as the
4-footers.

-- Jim