+1 On my wabbit and quantum, both got new Conti belts right away, and there after every 60k miles as PM. On the Escort, It got new timing belts as per the book. I think that was 90k miles. (2 on it. 1 for the cam and one for the IP) Ford parts for it.

I LOVE timing chains, Especially MB dual roller chains. I wanted to turn the first one I changed into a belt. Never did it. ( I was 20)

I got the wabbit because the PO trashed the head, let the timing belt break. It got a new Brazil head.

That is one PM interval i recommend NOT stretching.

Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM
How did the timing belt get broke? Was it just deferred maintenance?
A friend had a Jetta with the 1.8T, also had the timing belt break. The mechanic had suggested that on a "new to him" car he should replace the belt. My friend deferred and I think it lasted 2 weeks... When I got my Jetta I had the belt replaced immediately, same with the Golf. Both got Continental known good belts. Theres lots of scammers on eBay selling crap belts...
-Curt