The 8v was a Rabbit / Golf engine. In fact, the entire car was basically a
sport Rabbit. Same chassis, same subframe. Slightly longer overall but same
basic car. The 16V engine, though, nearly doubled the horsepower from the
early 8V engines, and was half again the later 8V engines. So, was a
competitor to the GTi really.

EdB