latch is gummed up with that white lithium crap. Real fix is to take it out and take it apart and clean it, then grease with molykote BR2. Practical fix is to spray the snot out of it with contact cleaner, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc. and work the snot out of it. Then spray in some oil.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 21, 2017 at 6:16 AM
The driver’s door on my 350SDL has been having a hard time latching - that is, I have to slam it to get it to close completely.

This just started a few days ago, and there’s nothing that’s happened to suggest something is broken. In all honesty, I’ve never had an issue with a door latch on a Mercedes, so this is completely new to me.

I looked at the strike and it doesn’t appear to be worn in any way that i can tell. When you slam the door is certainly latches and stays closed, so the mechanism is certainly working. The strike is not loose.

I’m wondering if the strike is simply worn out?

I want to address this before it gets ugly and the door won’t latch at all. I’m going to do some googling and see what I can find out….

Thanks,

Dan