In the original post, I thought I read the battery simply ran low on water,
which caused ultimate failure.

Simple, to me, solution is to put a check list item to check battery water
level once a month and keep it / them topped off with distilled water.

I do it with the solar battery bank. If I don't, I get to buy new
batteries. Trying to put charge in a battery low on fluid is the kiss of
pending death... for batteries.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>