I looked up scientology on the web. It appears to be based in part on Freuds
theory of the Id and Ego. It seems to get into trouble when dealing with people
who see visions, hear voices, can't function in normal society
(schizophrenics). Several schizophrenics under the "care" of scientology have
committed murder.

Wikipedia has a pretty thorough article on Hubbard and Scientology. This about
Hubbards early years is interesting:

"L. Ron Hubbard (1911–1986) was the only child of Harry Ross Hubbard, a United
States Navy officer, and his wife Ledora. Hubbard spent three semesters at
George Washington University but was placed on probation in September 1931. He
failed to return for the fall 1932 semester.[27]

In July 1941, Hubbard was commissioned as a Lieutenant (junior grade) in the
U.S. Naval Reserve. On May 18, 1943, his subchaser left Portland. That night,
Hubbard ordered his crew to fire 35 depth charges and a number of gun rounds at
what he believed were Japanese submarines.[28] His ship sustained minor damage
and three crew were injured. Having run out of depth charges and with the
presence of a submarine still unconfirmed by other ships, Hubbard's ship was
ordered back to port. The navy report concludes that "there was no submarine in
the area." A decade later, Hubbard claimed he had sunk a Japanese submarine in
his Scientology lectures.

On June 28, 1941, Hubbard ordered his crew to fire on the Coronado Islands.
Hubbard apparently did not realize that the islands belonged to US-allied
Mexico, nor that he had taken his vessel into Mexican territorial waters.[30]
He was reprimanded and removed from command on July 7.[30] After reassignment
to a naval facility in Monterey, California, Hubbard became depressed and fell
ill. Reporting stomach pains in April 1945, he spent the remainder of the war
as a patient in Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in Oakland, California...snip
Gerry

---
http://www.avg.com