Good point.
From that perspective, hybrids will probably turn out to be the vehicle of
choice.
Nowadays, gas engines are the primary power source, and batteries; other than
their gas saving abilities; are simply used to go short distances (20 miles for
example) for help in case the gas engine quits.
With the constant advances in technology, batteries could soon be the primary
motive source, and gas engines used only emergencies or on long trips where
recharging was not possible or practical.
Gerry