I always had a fear of gigantic tidal waves but this one made me blanch.

Massive wave recorded in Southern OceanPublished: Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A massive, 64-foot-high wave was measured by a buoy in the Southern Ocean
about 400 miles south of New Zealand on Saturday.

The wave was taller than a six-story building.

"This is one of the largest waves recorded in the Southern Hemisphere,"
said oceanographer Tom Durrant of MetOcean Solutions, a private weather
firm in New Zealand. "This is the world's southernmost wave buoy moored in
the open ocean, and we are excited to put it to the test in large seas," he
wrote on the company's blog.

The buoy was installed three months ago to get "valuable observations from
this remote part of the ocean," according to the company.

"Accurate measurements of these conditions will help us understand waves
and air-sea interactions in these extreme conditions," Durrant said,
referring to the new buoy. "This, in turn, will lead to improvements in the
models used to simulate the waves, providing better forecasts, both for the
Southern Ocean and for the wider region" (Doyle Rice, *USA Today*
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2017/05/22/surfs-up-monstrous-64-foot-wave-measured-southern-ocean/102009718/>,
May 22). *— CS*