If the AC won't run, push the stem down in the low pressure port to see if the
system still has freon in it. If freon squirts out fairly strongly, buy a can
of freon at FLAPS OR Wallmart which has a little gauge and and a short hose on
top.
Start the car and let it idle, turn the AC fan on full blast and set the temp
to maximum cool.
Then follow the instructions on the freon can.
Setting some kind of household fan so it will blow through the radiator and AC
condenser will speed up the freon charging rate. If the compressor comes on by
the time the freon has gone into the system, and you're getting cold air in the
cab, the AC "may not" have problems other than a gradual loss of freon over
time. If the compressor doesn't come on, the job can rapidly get complicated.
Gerry
P.S. If the AC will come on the next day, you probably don't have any serious
leaks, and after the car is roadworthy, you can take it by a shop and get the
freon topped off.