I totally agree with you. Just saying what they say on the site. Though they do say that the results will as you indicate be suboptimal.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
Understood.  However, I was not aware that it was intended to be used as a “top
off” for an R12 system. I interpret that statement as saying that any remnants
of R12 or R134a won’t react or affect the alternative refrigerant.

Here's the thing...when you mix two (or more) refrigerants you concoct a new,
3rd blend. The proportions of this blend will vary according to how much of
each parent refrigerant you put in. You may do a top off one time where you
have 75% of refrigerant A and 25% refrigerant B, next time it may have 49% of A
and 51% of B. The resulting blends will have different thermodynamic properties.

Bottom line - it's a crap shoot every time. You have no way of knowing if your
new blend will cool, how it will affect capacity, what kind of oil micsibility
it will have, etc., etc.

And you now have a substance inside the system that should be incinerated when
it comes time to recover it.

Any way you cut it, it's bad refrigerant practice. Sorry if I sound harsh, but
mixing refrigerants is the work of hacks. And frankly, you're cheating yourself
and the environment when you don't recover and convert through proper procedure.

-D