The W123 (and W116) have more roll oversteer designed in to unload the outside front tire in heavy cornering. On the W114/115 chassis, you can unmount that tire due to excessive side force, usually causing a severe accident as the car becomes uncontrollable. Lighter rear sway bar, I think. Gives a "swoopy" feeling and some rear lift under hard cornering, mistaken for poor handling.

Better than the jacking you get on the older swingaxle rear ends, believe me! THAT'S a surprise!.

Benz also has slightly "numb" center feel -- this is deliberate, often referred to as "sneeze insurance" -- you don't want to flip the car on the highway at 125 mph because the steering is so senstive that you change lanes (or worse) if you sneeze!

I find the Volvo to have much "tighter" steering -- to the point it's oversensitive on the highway, leading to excessive sideways motions. With the front end tight on the Benz, you can change grip on the steering wheel without swerving around, too.

Jack on front wheel off the ground and check for steering play. If you can move the wheel by grasping at 3:00 and 9:00 and pushing with one hand and pulling with the other, you have something loose, most likely tie rods and drag link joints. I would suggest simply replacing both tie rods complete, the drag link, and steering damper all at once. Makes a huge difference, believe me. Also check the idler arm -- any vertical play and the bushings are shot.

Excessive play at the steering wheel can be a worn out coupler - they are only $100, and make a HUGE difference. You will get some clatter of the wheel on rough surfaces or gravel if this is the case. If the coupler is good, you can try to adjust the steering box, but it may need to be rebuilt.

They aren't sports cars, for sure, but the steering should be smooth and precise, no slop.

Peter