Bob Rentfro wrote:
After I get the old girl up to NOP (normal operating temperature), shut 'er
off, an try to restart within 40 minutes or so, she fires right off. I she sits
longer than 45 minutes and less than 90 minutes, she's hard to start and when
she does light off the smoke plume is quite impressive. Anything after 90
minutes, BAM she starts right up.

Is this an oddity or an indication of something? I'm used to glow plugs and
relays just failing BAM.

Try allowing the glow plugs to glow for another 10 seconds after the dash lamp goes out and tell us if the smoke goes away!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi